The following Scalabrini English School student was nominated as Student of the Month in his Elementary II class.
An interview with Ghislain
– Tell us about yourself.
My name’s Ghislain. I am from Congo DRC and I was born on 31 March 1968. I speak French, Swahili, Lingala and a little bit English.
– Tell us about an important goal that you set in the past. Were you successful? Why?
My goal in the past was to know English, but I didn’t succeed, because at that time I didn’t have enough money to go to school. Also, at home we use our mother tongue when we talk to each other.
– What is your goal next year?
After being able to understand and speak English fluently, I need to go to University.
– If you don’t understand something do you ask questions?
Yes, I do. I do this a lot, because it is very important when you are learning.
– Who influenced you to learn English?
I decided to learn English because my goal in the past was not successful.
– How could your teacher or parents help you with what you are learning?
My teacher helps me a lot, because he explains to me everything which I do not understand. At home, I live with my brother and he tries his best to help me in what I am learning. Me too, I try my best by going to the library so that I can improve my reading.
– What do you like to do in your free time?
In my free time I go for a walk, listen to music and watch TV.
-Interview by Ruth Byukusenge